10 Facts You May Not Have Known About Moose:
1. Twins are common. If a female moose is healthy and well fed, the chances of her having 2 calves instead of just one are pretty high.
2. Moose know how to swim the moment they are born. They spend a lot of their time in water. It eases the stress that their weight puts on their joints, muscles and bones, it helps keep them cool on hot summer days and it also helps protect them from predators.
3. A bull’s antlers can weigh 50 – 60lbs! Can you imagine having to carry that much weight around on your head?! Can you say top-heavy??
4. Don’t try staring down a moose. Males are very territorial and cranky during the rut. If you stare him in the eye, stomp your feet or look aggressive, he’ll see that as a challenge, so I hope you can outrun him!
5. Speaking of running. Not only are they good swimmers, but moose have been spotted running at a speed of 35 miles per hour. I wouldn’t want to get caught in front of that!
6. Male moose use the same amount of energy growing their antlers every year as female moose do during pregnancy! Hard to believe right ladies?
7. Moose can store 100 lbs of food in their stomachs!
8. Moose makes a lot of funny noises. During the rut, bulls make a loud bellow. They also croak and bark! Cows make long moaning sounds that end with a cough kind of sound. They also grunt to communicate with their babies.
9. Bulls are generally solitary animals, so after mating, the male and female moose go their separate ways until the next year. They may feed in the same area every so often, but otherwise they just ignore each other :P.
10. Adult moose can be as tall as 5-6.5 feet. And thats at their shoulders! So when they raise their head (+antlers on males) they can be more like 7-7.5 feet! Holy Moose!